Many of the qualities of the true God, and especially his qualities, are similar to those of man. Yet its qualities are at a higher level than ours.
It should be emphasized that our ability to put into practice these traits relates to the fact that we are created in the image of God (Gen. 1: 26-27) in some respects, we are like him and not like him.
1. God is good (Ps. 25: 8, 106: 1 Mk. 10:18) all that God created from the beginning was good, a development of His own nature. (Gen. 1: 4, 10, 12, 18, 21, 31). He continues to be good in His creation by supporting it on behalf of all His other creatures (Ps. 104: 10-28, 145: 9).
NB: God is especially good to His people when they call on Him in truth (Ps. 145: 18-20)
2. God is love (1 John 4: 8). His unselfish love is the love that embraces the whole world of sinful mankind (John 3:16, Rom. 5: 8). The revelation seems to send his only son Jesus to die for sinners (1 John 4: 9-10).
3. God is merciful (2 Kings 13:23, Ps. 86:15, 111: 4)
To be compassionate means to feel sorry for someone else's mistakes, and to be willing to help.
In His mercy to man, God offers forgiveness and salvation (Ps. 78:38).
Caution: However, God's patience and forgiveness should not be misused, by deliberate disobedience and rebellion. If we continue to grieve Him for our sins, He will eventually judge us in His wrath as He did for Israel (Heb. 3: 7-19).
4. God is patient and not easily angered (Ex. 34: 6, Num. 14:18, Rom. 2: 4, 1Tim. 1:16).
God first manifested His character in the Garden of Eden, after Adam and Eve sinned. He had the right to destroy the human race, but he did not (Gen. 2: 16-17).
God was also patient in the days of Noah when the ark was being built (1 Pet. 3:20). God is still tolerating the sinful generation of mankind. He does not judge now to destroy the world, because he patiently waits to give everyone the opportunity to repent and be saved (2 Pet. 3: 9).
5. God is truthful (Deut. 32: 4, Ps. 31: 5, Isa. 65:16, John 3:33)
Jesus called himself "the truth" (John 14: 6) and the Spirit is known as the Spirit of truth (John 14:17).
6. God is faithful (Ex. 34: 6, 7: 9 Isa. 49: 7, Heb. 10:23).
God does what is revealed in His Word, His promises and warnings (Num. 14: 32-33, 2 Sam. 7:28, Job 34:12, Acts 13:23, 32-33)
God's faithfulness brings great comfort to believers
.................................................. ................. continued ................................ ......................
Prepared byRev. Joseph Marego.